8.3.10

Quick look back at the Oscars

As a screenwriter-in-development and movie lover, I was rooting heavily against Avatar. Just not my type of movie.

I may be naive, but I believe the human Oscars (director, actor/actress, picture) should go to humans. Not CGI-generated, 3D-amplified creatures. Why nominate a man who sat at a computer to push keys and drag a mouse for best director? Give me someone on the set, giving actors directions, setting up shots, angling cameras. A director directing!!!

So, seeing Kathryn Bigelow (Cougar alert!) holding up the golden statue put a smile on my face!

Mark Boal took home the Oscar for best original screenplay. Heard a podcast some time back from Creative Screenwriting (get it on iTunes) where Mark explained his craft and his work as a reporter in Irak. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Heard and read mixed reviews on the hosts. The Academy Awards are so conservative, I'm thinking they weren't given the green light to exploit their talents to their fullest. Or maybe we were expecting too much from these guys after watching them on SNL. To me, Alec Baldwin will always be Pete Schweaty!

In any event, if you haven't seen The Hurt Locker, or any of the other movies nominated, get to the theater or your local independent videostore and get caught up.

Cheers,

Deegan

No comments:

Post a Comment